Saturday 21 September 2013

Draft Article

This is a draft of the article I wrote that will go on the main double page feature spread of my magazine.

AS the September leaves start to turn golden and October approaches it’s time to clean off your walking boots and get stuck in to the best muddy trails Cornwall has to offer.

Cornwall has some of the best wooded walking in the country, over the next 6 issues we are going to review a range of trails that are both breath-taking and challenging in equal measures. This week Boutique reporter Natalie Lake takes us into the heart of Lanhydrock…

Lanhydrock woodland is situated in the grounds of a prestigious
National Trust property. This is no ordinary woodland, its haunting beauty is said to captivate the dead as well as the living. Many local residents say they have caught glimpses of the mysterious grey lady whilst walking the trails.

Travelling from the slightly more urban moorland town of Bodmin, I arrive at Lanhydrock in just 10 minutes. It is a place I have visited many times before but yet I never cease to be amazed by how the journey over stone bridges and running rivers seems to transport you back in time. Pulling through the stone gates does nothing to dispel this illusion as the house itself towers out of the landscape like something straight from a Jane Austen novel.

The National Trust car park is situated at the top of the grounds and offers views of the rolling landscape, valleys and woodlands. As I pull on my walking boots the mist clears slightly revealing the beautiful autumn colours in their true glory.

I turn left after I leave the car park and follow the trail over the long, dewy grass of the meadow towards the woodlands, which is situated at the top of a short incline. The autumn light serenades me as I draw nearer to the trees. As I step inside their gentle shade the pungent scents of the ancient woodlands overtake my senses. This is woodland walking at its finest.

The trail is easy to follow allowing the mind to become occupied with the natural beauty all around. The gentle sound of wood pigeons fills the air. The bark and moss of each tree adding to the amazing autumn colour palette of the surroundings.

After 10 peaceful minutes absorbing the colours of autumn the sound of a bubbling stream can be heard. The trail takes you along a riverbank not too dissimilar to the one of childhood dreams in Wind in the
Willows.

The footpath then loops back taking me along a small hedge at the top of the woodland, it is here the fateful grey lady is said to be seen. Today there is no sign of her, only the warm rays of the autumn sun cascading through the trees.

The walk back to the car is down hill and allows to once again to absorb the breath-taking scenery of Cornwall’s finest landscape and stately home. As the woods disappear from view behind me I count myself lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment