Friday 1 February 2013

My Magazine Contents Page Evaluation

My Contents Page Design

This is the contents page that I designed. I feel it does not follow any of the common conventions of a school magazine and is not really a strong contents page. This is because of reasons such as the background having quite a lot going on in it as it is made up of 6 separate images, the font I used didn't look professional and the colour scheme was also very unprofessional. For my music magazine contents I will make sure I create one that is of a much higher standard than this and has much more planning for it as that is also something I slipped up on when creating this.

The colour scheme I used was black and red, the same as my cover. This was not a good choice as it is difficult to read the text that is in black because it almost blends in with the background. The red that I used in the text at the top does not match/go with the images I used as the background because there is so many colours going on in the background that having a bright font at the top is too much. The fact that I used a lot of images in the background makes the text hard to read which is bad because the text is essentially the most important part. Using 6 different images put together for a background is not a common convention of a professional magazine and is something I definitely will not be doing when I make a music magazine for the main task. However, I do think that if I could have made the font/text work with the images then it would have been an original idea that presented images of the school that the magazine was about. It looks unfinished because the text does not reach the bottom of the page, also something I will be sure to avoid when creating my main task.

1 comment:

  1. In short, through your prelim practical work you have shown basic ability in the following creative skills:
    * Producing material appropriate to the target audience and task
    * showing some understanding of the convention of layout and page design
    * Showing awareness for the need for a variety of fonts and text size
    * accurately using language and register
    * Using ICT appropriately
    * Appropriately integrating graphics and text
    * Shooting material appropriate to task set
    * Manipulating photographs (e.g. resizing, cropping, colour adjustment)

    However, when you progress to the main task you need to work on the following areas:
    1) Think more carefully about typography choices
    2) Think more carefully about layout (use Indesign or similar program to assist this process).

    YOU NEED TO POST YOUR EVALUATION!!

    PLANNING

    In terms of your planning for the preliminary task, you have completed it demonstrating your time management is good in so far as all tasks have been completed, however you need to include a lot more detail when you move onto the main task. In terms of content, you have shown proficient/basic; research into similar products and target audience, work on flat plans and organisation of models/locations.

    When you move onto your main task, to get the grade you are capable of, you need to:
    1) Include more detail (genre, audience, institution, representation, media language)
    2) Use more media terminology
    3) Make sure you use a range of mediums on your blog (e.g. Prezi, imove, YouTube etc)
    4) Make sure you include all the theory you learnt for the exam module
    5) When you create your SurveyMonkey's you need to include a wider range of questions that will help shape your practical work.

    ReplyDelete